I must admit, I was never a huge fan of my Mom’s dark lipsticks. I always felt they were too…dark (yeah, my use of synonyms is really awesome). Yet again, her fashion and make-up sense have proven me wrong; just like how she knew color-blocking and matching similar colors together would be fashionable one day, she also knew that dark lipsticks will always be hot. Naturally, I followed her. This whole post was going to be about wine/burgundy lipsticks. I know…exciting. However, I decided to throw in a bronze-smoky eyeshadow tutorial to complement the lipstick. (You’re welcome). The key is to keep it simple especially if you want the focus to be your lips.
These are the items you will need to get this look. (Product details are at the end of the post).
The colors I’ve used on this palette are Naked, Smog, Darkhorse and Sin.
I am using Urban Decay’s NAKED eyeshadow palette. (Probably one of the best make-up investments I’ve made. Especially since this is the only thing I really ever use when I do wear eyeshadow). If you’d like to use what you have or are seeking other products, what you’ll need shadow-wise is a nude matte (Naked), gold/bronze (Smog), dark brown/bronze (Darkhorse) and silver/white shadow (Sin).
1. Apply eyeshadow primer (I use Urban Decay’s Eyeshadow Primer Potion) across eyelid and up to eyebrow bone. Apply Naked (nude) shadow across eyelid to eyebrow bone (same area as the eyeshadow primer). This will give a soft, somewhat shimmery base to work with.
2. Using a flat shadow brush, apply Smog (gold/bronze shadow) across 3/4 of eyelid starting from the inner corner and working your way across the eyelid. Then using a contour brush apply Darkhorse (dark brown/bronze) onto the other 1/4 of the eyelid and into the crease.
3. Lightly blend the two colors together where they meet. Do not blend the dark shadow across the entire eyelid or you’ll make the eyeshadow a lot darker than it needs to be. Make sure a bit of the eyeshadow can be seen when you open your eyes and that the corner is in a “greater-than” shape (>).
It will look something like this:
4. Apply UD eyeshadow primer to bottom of lashline. Using an angled eyeliner brush, line 1/2 of the lower lashline with Darkhorse (dark brown/bronze). Apply Sin (white/silvery) to the other half of the bottom lash line starting from the inner corner of the eye. Make sure to put a little bit in the inner corners around the tear duct area. (This will make your eyes pop).
5. Apply eyeliner and mascara.
6. Apply foundation or powder to face. Sweep a darker colored blush across cheeks. I’m using Plum Plush by Cover Girl.
6. Apply UD primer to lips; this will help keep the lipstick in place. Line lips with a mauve, berry or dark liner (depending on the shade of lipstick you have).
7. Apply dark lipstick and blend with lip brush.
Eyes: Primer – Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion. Eyeshadows – Urban Decay NAKED palette. *Eyeliner – Milani liquid eyeliner in Blackest Black. *Mascara – L’Oreal Telescopic Mascara in Carbon Black.
*Sold in drug stores.
(Faux-fur head band and scarf sold at Target).
I’ve also done a Red Lipstick post, thanks to my friend Sheebani. She also asked me about dark lipstick and when I didn’t get a chance to tell her which one I use, she went out and bought the exact same one – great minds do think alike. If you’ve got any suggestions to ones that you like, feel free to leave them in the comments section. Thanks!